Windows 10 has already been released. Millions of Computers have upgraded to the new refreshing OS.
This post will help you if your free upgrade is still not started.
If you had reserved Windows 10 free upgrade, then there would be a folder ($Windows.~BT) on your C:\ drive. This folder contains files required for the free upgrade. This is a hidden folder.
If you cannot see this folder then you can follow the steps mentioned below to force download the setup files and start installation. Else if you can see this folder and the Windows 10 install app still says it will “notify you when ready,” you can force Windows 7 or Windows 8 to start downloading the Windows 10 files by following below instructions.
1. Navigate to “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download” folder (you need to replace C: with a different drive letter if you installed Windows elsewhere) and delete all the files in it.
2. Open Windows Update by pressing the Windows key and typing “Windows Update” and clicking on “Windows Update” from the search results.
3. Open the command prompt by pressing the Windows key and typing “cmd”. Don’t press enter. Right click on “Command Prompt” in search results and select “Run as administrator.”
4. Type “wuauclt.exe /updatenow” in the command prompt (Do not press
5. Switch back to the Windows Update window, click “Check for updates” on the left hand side. It should say “Checking for updates…”
6. Switch back to the command prompt and press
Windows Update should now say that it is downloading Windows 10.
Once the download is complete, it will start ‘Preparing for installation’ after which you can install the update.